Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Flu and a basic on a few foods

I'm sorry I haven't updated (to anyone out there, hi! How are you?) but the flu descended on my school in a fit of madness, and I've just gotten past the charming high fever part of it. I still have a cough and a runny nose, so here's my warning:

Wash your hands. All the time. Use hand sanitizer. It can't stop everything, but it won't hurt.

Now, I'm going to talk about a few really basic dorm foods, one ingredient wonders that you might not be sure on the time it takes to cook them.

First, baked potatoes.

Take a potato (sweet, russet, whatever strikes your fancy, but make it a little bigger than your fist. You're better off boiling new potatoes.) and scrub it until it's super clean.

Take a fork and jab a few holes in it. If there aren't any holes in it, it could explode. They don't need to be deep, but there certainly needs to be some.

Pop it in the microwave and let it run for five minutes for a smallish potato, and seven for a largish one.

When it's done, carefully ('cause it's hot) reach in a squeeze it. If it's pretty soft, leave it in there for another minute, without running the microwave. If it's not, set it for another minutes, and repeat this set until you're on the let set for a minute.

Remove, and top with butter, and whatever else you like.

I like making potatoes after I've gotten a sandwich and didn't eat all of it. I don't really like mustard or mayo, so it's basically meat, cheese, veggies, and bread. The veggies usually only taste so-so in a potato, depending on what you have. Toss in the meat and cheese, regardless, and munch away.

Another easy to make food is hard-boiled eggs.

Put your eggs in water in a hot pot (or on a pot on the stove) and then slowly bring it to boiling. Keep and eye on it, so it doesn't boil over. After ten minutes or good boiling, they should be done, but for safety reasons, I usually boil my eggs twelve to thirteen minutes.

As soon as they are done boiling, take the pot or hot pot over to the sink and fill and let it over flow with cold water. This will hopefully make the little suckers easier to peel. When all of the water in the pot seems cool, allow it to sit for a couple of minute before replacing the water.

Sorry no real recipes, but these numbers are nice to have on hand.

I'm hoping to be back later today or tomorrow with Super Bowl snacks.

No comments: